N. Thornton

Default Down to earth - can you identify tonight's mystery switch gear?

(Andrew Gabriel) wrote in message ... much about voltage operated ELCBs.

Ah! I had misunderstood the earthing arrangement. Couple of points
though...

You say their main problem is nuisance tripping, yet I have observed
that happen very rarely. Compared to RCDs they look like angels in
this respect. The RCD is vastly inferior when it comes to nuisance
trips.

As far as safety goes, v-ELCBs may not add a danger but they are so
inferior to RCDs that they do represent a risk relative to an RCD
protected TT system. TT systems are somewhat different to well earthed
ones, and do need some extra protection because of this. And a v-elcb
only goes so far in this respect.

Regards, NT