Autolycus

"--s-p-o-n-i-x--" wrote in message
I have a B&D electric drill and the carbon brushes are sparking
excessively. (I'd expect a *little* sparking but this is a lot) Apart
from that the drill runs fine.

Inspecting the brushes there is about 1/4 the original length left and
the nds are rough, so they need replacement.

However, will replacing the brushes/cleaning the commutator cure the
sparking?

If not, what else could be causing the sparking?

If the sparking has got slowly worse, changing the brushes and cleaning
the commutator will probably be all that's needed.

Severe sparking that starts suddenly, accompanied by some loss of power
(not always very obvious), and an occasional refusal to start unless the
chuck is turned slightly, indicates a fault with one or more armature
windings, either in the winding itself or its connection to the
commutator.

--
Kevin Poole (ex production liaison engineer, B&D, only 30 years ago)
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. )***