Mike

On 16 Apr 2005 14:36:36 -0700, "DIYDan" wrote:

steep-pitched roof of my brick cape cod house. I want to use 2 square
columns, about 7" or so wide by about 8' tall.

But I want the columns to be painted white. I don't have experience
painting pressure treated wood. I'm thinking it might now work well.
Any ideas? Should I cover a center post with better wood for painting?

Check with the local lumber yards to see what is available.
It might depend on the look you are after. You should be able to find
6x6 and 8x8 rough cedar if you don't mind the look. It can be
painted. You might be able to have the yard surface it for if you
don't want the rough surface. You would still have the knots to
contend with.
You might also be able to find fir beams.
I would prefer a solid post myself. You can easily box in the
supporting posts to get the look you are after but I would be
concerned that over time the joints might come apart or at least
become visible. If the posts were not standing in the weather, I
wouldn't be so worried about that.

Mike O.