william_b_noble

aaah, Eric - 1750 RPM grinders go for a premium - why not just sell it and
get a 3450 RPM unit and pocket the difference? many folks who do wood
turning get rid of 3450 grinders and go for the lower speed - it is a lot
less damaging to a tool that's sharpened every few minutes. Offer your
grinder up to local wood turners and make a trade.

"Eric R Snow" wrote in message

DoN.

Once again I failed to be precise. The motor is a permanent capacitor
split phase machine. So it has two identical windings. The speed can
be easily lowered by lowering the voltage. But raising the voltage
only increases starting torque and improves speed regulation. Since it
is a 1725 rpm motor I suppose I could find the ends of the windings
and connect them so that it has two instead of four poles. I've never
done this and only know about it from books. The motor is a dual
voltage motor but I don't know how this would affect changing the
number of poles by re-wiring. Furthermore, I don't know if the pole
numbers can be changed just by changing connections. Will the
laminations be made so that the motor can only be a 4 pole motor? BTW,
it's a Baldor grinder. I bought it from Grant Erwin for a good price.
He has always been very fair and honest to deal with.
Eric