Proctologically Violated©®

"Anthony" wrote in message
. ..
Richard Ferguson wrote in
:

I have noticed that lately my Sears 115VAC compressor is having more
trouble than I remember keeping up with my 1/4 inch die grinder. I
started taking some measurements and doing some calculations. I have
a few questions:

At a glance, calcs look ok. With the altitude, you will probably be
looking for a dual cylinder compressor rated at 20 CFM (this due to the
fact that 'rated' CFM is at sea level under absolutely IDEAL conditions,
and then exaggerated by the marketing dept by probably 20% or more.
I have found that using "Blaster" air tool conditioner/oil regularly will
not only reduce wear on air tools, it will cause a noteable drop in CFM
usage of the tools. It cleans out the sludge and gunk that causes the
blades to not seat properly against the bore allowing a better seal.

What Anthony said.
Except I don't know if the calcs are correct, but that is not even relevant
here. Pressure-volume calcs are subtly bitchy...
What is useful is the *relative* measurements you took, as reference points.
It proly is a good idea for everyone to measure times between reference
pressures, as an operating performance baseline. Proly best w/ the tank
valved off, for accuracy (no leaks, etc.)
Why one tool uses more air than another maybe can't really be answered. But
poss. solutions are below.

Probably the other problem is Sears. When I was looking for a compressor,
the advice I most often got was, Don't get Sears!

You can "effectively" increase your capacity by increasing the pressure
setting of your tank, and then getting a second tank regulated down to what
your real operating pressures will be. This gives you more reserve--poss a
*lot* more. Same thing w/ hot water heaters and temp.
So you might not strictly have a 100% duty cycle capacity, in that your
compressor itself don't have the cfm capacity you are actually operating at,
but your reserve/higher pressure can fudge this.

I have a 26 gal husky sort of arranged like this, and altho the cycle times
are longer, this is not nec'ly a bad thing. Works good. The Husky seems to
have a very good compressor. I actually have 4 tanks in tandem, tucked away
whereever one will fit!
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

--