Edwin Pawlowski

"Walter Cohen" wrote in message
I have a wood door between my garage and my basement. Why and how the
previous owner was able to put a wood door there instead of a steel one is
debatable but I'd like to replace it with a steel door.

Wood is cheaper and either he did not have a permit or it was before that
was part of the code.

As I'd like to try and tackle this myself, what is involved in removing
the
door and frame and installing the steel one? I plan on going to Home
Depot
and purchasing the door. Don't know if I should get a pre-hung door or
what.

This is a DIY job. Is there molding around the door? remove it and measure
the opening. Buy the same size pre-hung door. Remove the old by prying the
casing and maybe cutting a few nails with a reciprocating saw. Put the new
frame in place and fasten it securely. Be sure it is plumb and square. Use
shims as needed. Replace the trim.

Be sure you have the new door in hand before removing the old one. There is
a chance in an older house that the existing door is an odd size and you
need something special.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/