Bob Eager

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 18:08:45 UTC, Lobster
wrote:

TheScullster wrote:
What cable is required between these linked smoke and heat detectors, other
than power supply?
I am doing a refurb room by room and want to cover as many bases as
possible!

Depends on the models you're using. For example, are yours mains
powered (sounds like it)?

In my case I linked them using 1.5mm 3-core-and-earth mains lighting
cable, of the type normally used for 2-way lighting circuits or bathroom
fans etc. Two of the cores are used to convey power from the first
detector to the second (ie live and neutral), and the third (effectively
a switched live) carries the 'linking' signal between the two units.
The first detector of course is also fed from a 1.5mm 2-core-and-earth
cable wired to the lighting circuit (or preferably, wired direct to the
CU on a dedicated circuit)

Same here. I also put a non-maintained emergency light on the same
circuit. That way: (1) I get a light on the stairs in a power cut (2) I
know if the supply to the smoke alarms has failed (yes, I know they have
battery backup but...).

http://www.diybanter.com