Richard

Christian McArdle wrote:
Having miles of 2.5 T+E dated prior to 2005 can I use this provided it
is (a) buried in a sand lined trench of suitable depth below the drive,
(b) marked with that yellow warning tape and (c) in some sort of
protective tube?

You should be using SWA, I'm afraid. It just shows how Part P is encouraging
people to do a second best bodge job, rather than do the job properly.

Christian.

As you both guessed I'm trying to avoid a very visible length of SWA
bearing the dreadful numbers '2005'.

At present I have an external socket on the end of a length of SWA
supplied from a dedicated MCB. The intention (back in 2003) was to
extend the SWA from the socket, i.e run it down the wall to the drive,
and thence (buried) to the gate posts via a dusk-to-dawn switch. It's
the problem of the metre or so that will be visible to the naked eye
that I'm trying overcome.

Any suggestions? Serious surface abrasion to suggest really old cable?
My local factor can still supply pre-harmonisation colours.

Actually, I've just had a thought. I may have a short length of the
original SWA knocking about that might reach the ground. I could start
the extension with that and bury the join to the 2005 SWA. What do you
think?

Or I could use new SWA from posts to the external socket but terminate
it in an IP65 or whatever box and from there run a bit of flex to a 13A
plug that 'whenever I need the gate lights to operate' I plug into the
wall socket. I assume that non-fixed installations like extension
cables are not caught by Part P? Getting silly now! It's been a long week.

Richard
--
Real email address is RJSavage at BIGFOOT dot COM