alexy

Joe User wrote:

Mike wrote:

BTW, if you are going to build these on the floor and stand them up,
be sure they are short enough to turn up in the room.

LOL. I've already thought of that one. I've probably spent more time
thinking about ways to do it wrong than I have actually planning the
design.

Let me add another for you to think about: DON'T assume that your
walls are straight. Make any piece that butts up against a wall
oversize so that it extends beyond the body of the shelves. And rabbit
the back of that piece so that you have wood only about 1/4" to 3/8"
thick as a "flange" extending beyond your shelves. Then when you
install your bookcase, move it as close as you can to the walls, and
use a compass to scribe a line parallel to your wall on this flange.
It will be easy to cut the flange leaving only the need for a small
bead of caulk (assuming you are painting, or small piece of trim if
that is your preference) to make it really "built-in".

Don't know where I saw that advice, but it saved me on my first
bookcase--the plaster walls in my circa 1945 house at the time bowed
almost a full 1" between floor and 8' ceiling!