Lee Michaels

"George" george@least wrote in message

"George Max" wrote in message
Food for thought!

Do they make aprons containing those ceramic bullet proof plates that
can be used for table saw operators (and others)?

One of the first things I was taught, and I taught, was to stay the hell
clear of the firing line. I took it to heart, and to the lathe, too. It
was an automatic "D" for the day to activate/operate in the throw zone.
Automatic "F" to use the equipment when someone else was in it.

Amen Brother.

I was cutting some thin strips off some wood on the tablesaw in my basement
shop once. This was in a house that was shared with others So we had folks
drop over that were walking hazard zones. I was very focused on the cut,
knowing full well that this thin peice could shoot out the back with
considerable force. Luckily, there was an old, ugly door that was heavy and
armor plated. Anything that hit that thing just bounced off onto the floor.

Needless to say, I was well out of the way of the trajectory of any
unintentional missile. This wise move on my part was because once I did NOT
stand out of the way and recieved one of those missiles right in the gut.
That changed my ways forever more.

Any way, I was cutting and noticed, just as the cut was being finished, a
shadow moving right into the "firing zone". I pushed the board through and
swung my fist back into the intruder's chest, knocking him onto his butt.
He sputtered his protests as he landed. And then the thin strip that had
been dancing between the blade and fence shot out and hit the door with
considerable force.

He stared at this and began trembling. He then began to thank me for saving
his life. And he never entered my shop ever again.