Wild Bill

This won't be practical, and most likely wouldn't work, and could possibly
damage the components. The windings are different (not identical) in a
split-phased cap-start motor, and aren't placed properly for the motor to
operate using both windings (only during normal startup).
Also, the insulation of the windings isn't adequate for VFD use (which is
the big difference in inverter-duty motors which are designed for use with
VFDs).

I think you will need to use the existing grinder/motor as-is.

For a moment, I thought you might be able to try to locate a stator from a
3450 motor to use with your rotor, but the rotor laminations are different
in a 3450 motor (the spiral pitch change).
There are a few methods to change the speeds of some types of induction
motors from zero-to-full speed, but doubling the designed speed isn't one of
them.

A half-assed kludge would be to use the existing unit as an arbor, and belt
drive it with another motor to obtain the speed you want.

WB

"Eric R Snow" wrote in message
I've asked one person who should know, and Automation Direct, and
haven't gotten the answer I want. What I wanna do is run a single
phase motor, without a centrifigul starting switch, with a VFD. I'm
told it can't be done. You can't even hook up 3 single phase motors
to one VFD. Oh well. But is there some way to fool a VFD into thinking
it's controlliong a three phase motor so the speed can be varied on a
single phase motor?
ERS