Ed Huntress

"Ignoramus31693" wrote in message
I woud like to ask a question.

Why would anyone want to harden lawnmower blades? They are meant to
cut very soft material (grass) by hitting it at high speed and
splitting the stems. Hardnedd of the blade is irrelevant to grass
cutting performance.

That's true to a point, but a sharp blade will leave a much cleaner cut (I
sharpen mine all the time, and I have really clean-cut crabgrass and
dandelions). A cleaner cut, if you have grass, leaves your grass less
vulnerable to disease and drought.

Hardening would not help much wrt dulling of blades when they hit
rocks and soil at high speed. Rocks will be harder than the blade
anyway and wil dull it regardless of hardening.

The trick is to keep the rocks out of your lawn. I fight a losing battle in
that regard, as the rocks here seem to breed.

--
Ed Huntress