Ernie Leimkuhler

In article , Mike Patterson
wrote:

Sounds like it must have been adapted by the same despicable twits who
butchered Heinlein's Starship Trooper.

Starship Troopers was never intended to be a Heinlein book adaptation.

It was originally called Bug Hunt and had nothing whatsoever to do with
Heinlein.

They realized that they could buy the film rights to Starship Troopers
for cheap and just adjust the story line enough that it could vaguely
be called that.

Hollywierd is a very odd place to get any project carried through to
the big screen.

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 12:07:20 -0400, Larry Green
wrote:

Gunner wrote:

http://hitchhikers.movies.go.com/

If you are at all familiar with Douglas Adam's original books, radio
plays, TV series or anything else connected to H2G2 you could well be
very disappointed with this movie.

To say that it strays far from the original plot/concept/story line
would be an understatement. For someone who has never read the books it
may be an OK film but apparently whole sections have been totally
ignored or changed beyond recognition, whole new scenes and characters
have been created and Adam's greatest gift, that of the biting dialogue
between characters, has been butchered to the point where you get lead
lines with no punch line or punch lines with no lead line.

As for Marvin (the robot - metal content), instead of a manic depressive
humanoid we get something that looks like a mechanized salt
cellar/shaker from the 60's that says the right words but in a tone of
voice that implies all is well with his existence. Where is the misery
and angst when he speaks, he gives the impression he popped a case of
'uppers' just prior to filming!

For a review written by someone who has been closely involved with H2G2
for more than 20 years (and who was one of only a handful of journalists
allowed to visit the set) check the link below......

http://www.planetmagrathea.com/shortreview.html

I was really looking forward to this long awaited movie and I may go to
see it even after reading the above. However I will 'rewire' my brain
before entering the theatre so that I do not expect it to be anything
like what I remember of the radio plays and TV shows and will endeavour
to experience it as a singular item not in any way connected to whatever
went before.

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily
Tomlin