Phil L

:: I want to buy a new electric strimmer. We already have a big
:: petrol one (which is also a brush cutter) but I want a more
:: convenient and lighter one to use mostly around lawns etc. Price
:: isn't really an issue, even the most expensive electric strimmers
:: only seem to be £100 or so, however unless there's a real reason
:: to go to a very expensive one I'm probably looking at the £40 to
:: £50 range.
::
:: Requirements a-
::
:: Must be reasonably light, the whole point is for it to be much
:: easier than the petrol one to use.
::
:: Autofeed of strimmer line
::
:: Possible a tilting head to make it easy to use for edging as
:: well.
::
I've got a Flymo & trim edge which I've used regularly for almost 15
years....Flymo are not really synonymous with lawn care but they excell at
cheapo strimmers!...it has a wheel, head tilting and auto feed...quite
powerull too for a leccy tool.

:: Some questions:-
:: How good are the automatic line feed systems now? I see that
:: B&D have a completely automatic system where you don't even
:: have to click a button to get more line. Does this work well?
::

I can't imagine it works at all, mine also has this feature although I've
only ever known it to work once or twice, most often it's ust a matter of
pulling the plastic cover and feeding it through which takes less than a
minute anyway.

:: Do the strimmers with wheels (optional) work well, it sounds
:: quite a good idea to take some of the weight off the user but
:: is it practical?
::

Yes they do, mines got a wheel on the bottom and after you've been using it
for 20 mins or so you are glad of it!

:: Are the Bosch models with light and heavy strimmer line any
:: good?
::
::
:: What makes do people recommend, there seem to be mainly B&D, Bosch,
:: Draper and Viking (approximately that order in price too).
::

As I said, I've only had one and it's a Flymo....I'm assuming that they are
all virtually the same - this has been used for 15 years without trouble and
the replacement line is cheap too.

There's a picture of one here with specifications:
http://www.crocus.co.uk/?ContentType...affil iate=td

You'd probably get one cheaper than that, this was the first link I found.

HTH

They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country
and our people, and neither do we."
- George W. Bush, 5.8.2004