The Natural Philosopher

Default diy laser steering track adjustment

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 17:10:40 +0100, Dave wrote:

returned from my 4th visit to them to try and correct this and I'm
well and truly ******-off!

Well tell them but preferably politely and firmly. Then refuse to
leave (apart from test drives) until they sort it out properly.

From my experience of setting up tracking there are two methods in use
one just "aligns" the front wheels with no relation to the rear the
other aligns the fronts in relation to each other *and* the rears.

And the third aligns them all WITH THE STEERING WHEEL IN THE CENTRAL
POSITION.

I had similar "fun" after new rubber and tracking adjustment. Didn't
have to do more than one return visit (withing 30 mins of leaving)
they checked front alignment first that was close enough then got the
full front/rear rig out that was incorrect small adjustment and it's
been fine since. This cars' monocoque chassis is a bit bent after an
front end collision so the book settings won't be right.

The other thing to bear in mind that it's no use doing the tracking
straight after the car has been jacked up and the rubber changed. The
suspension drops completely with the wheels off and won't have settled
back to its running position without being driven.