Lee

Default HD foam for laptop case?

T i m wrote:

Hi All,

Of course my new laptop won't fit in the old Toshiba carry case and
because it's not an armoured jobby I was thinking of making a
'tougher' carry case for it.

I didn't was anything too 'come and take my new laptop' so descrete's
the word here.

Considerations:

Woolies do (did?) a 14.99 ally camera type case that has removable
deviders and a sort of 'soft' interior but it's not quite big enough.
Something similat (as long as it's cheap) might do if it was a bit
bigger but it still could say 'camera' or 'valuable' to some folk. ;-(

I *may* have an old Sampsonite briefcase in the loft (somewhere) that
with the addition of some extra padding may do the job and wouldn't
shout 'nick me'. (When I have taken the little Toshiba Libretto (VHS
vid sized 'laptop') with us camping (for GPS and photo dump) I take it
in an old first aid looking type case that (so far) hasn't attracted
any unwanted attention).

So, if I find a suitable container, can someone tell me where I can
get layers of that very hight density foam that I could use to cut-out
/ line my case with please?

I don't think ordinary 'sponge' would be stiff enough (similar to that
grey stuff I've seen in camera cases) and the layers (say 25mm think)
might help me form a suitable neat enclosure?

The laptop is 33.5cm wide x 29 deep x 5.5 thick. I don't mind if it's
a big bigger that would be needed (to include the protection) as I've
also got to find / make places for the PSU and exta 'bit's etc.

I was even looking at ex drill / tool cases (maybe cutting out the
shaped inner layer etc) but getting the foam would sill be an issue.

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. I don't have a load of money to throw at this

Maplin do an ally flight case which is 350*470*165 externally.
Stupidly, they don't specify the internal dimensions and it's expensive
at £30.
I had problems finding a large enough case for my Notebook as well, but
I ended up with an Antler case that looks like a document briefcase.
It doesn't offer that much mechanical protection, but it doesn't shout
"look at me" either

Lee
--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.