Steve W.

Mower blades for commercial machines are hardened at the cutting edges
and the hub. Cub Cadet offers hardened blades for the bigger decks from
the factory.
They work OK but the edges chip easily if you strike rocks. They are
also hard to sharpen properly.

--
Steve W.

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
Haaken Hveem wrote:
Only if you "blue grinded" it.
If the steel turns blue, the hardening are ruined.
So cool it often, an dont overheat.
And yes, the can be re-hardened!

The easy way of hardenig is to heat the blade dull red. and throw it

in a
can of water.

Unless you know the material's metalurgy and are knowledgeable about
heat treating I wouldn't chance doing that.

The thought of a too brittle blade shattering and tossing a piece out,
even if it just busts a window and not some child's face is just too
scarey for me to think about trying that myself.

Personally, I use my angle grinder with the mover blade still on the
machine and do my best to hit both ends evenly enough so I don't have

mess with balancing the blade each time I sharpen it.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)