The Natural Philosopher

Default modern double glazing and heat/radiation

Simon Gardner wrote:

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Simon Gardner wrote:

Whilst I understand that old-style single or double glazing may be
direction of heat-transfer neutral - what about the newer glasses now
compulsory in double glazing? Does this in any way act in a one-way manner
so as to exacerbate the heating effects of a lot of sun as compared with
older glazing?

I think not. The idea is to keep heat in in winter and out in summer.

Its not made, and cannot I think BE made, directional.

I'm sure with the right coatings it can be made directional. I'm reassured
to know it isn't.

Not to conduction it can't. radiation may be a different matter tho.

However heat loss is mostly conduction/convetion. Heat gain may be
radiation.