al

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
news:ZPA7e.20608$Uc7.2430@newsfe2-
If the pipe you're working on is 50mm away from your gas pipe then you
should be able to solder it quite safely if you use a heat shield such as
glass-fibre mat to protect the gas pipe from the flame.

With one of the pipes, it was about 20cm away - we used a heat mat draped
over it just in case and tried to keep the flame in a different direction.
Still not my idea of fun though! Naked flames are never a good thing around
gas (it was about 60cm away from the back of the boiler too ... you wouldn't
want a leak!). The other pipes were just too close - used compression
fittings instead.