Dave Plowman

Default diy laser steering track adjustment

In article ,
Dave wrote:
Well that's as far as I'm taken the idea. Any comments, ideas, etc?

What your tyre place conveniently forgot is that first (if you have rack
and pinion steering as most have these days) you *must* centralise the
rack. If you don't, apart from the steering wheel being squint, the track
rod lengths are wrong even if the toe in is right. So when you corner or
hit a bump, the suspension and steering geometry is wrong.

Most racks have an inspection hole where you screw in a bolt to locate
the *exact* centre. Only then can you adjust the tracking - and it takes
several goes to get it right. Which these quick fitters can't afford the
time to do. Even if they knew how, which I doubt very much.

--
*The colder the X-ray table, the more of your body is required on it *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn