jerry wass

Derek wrote:
While there may more appropriate groups to anwer this question, I
trust the wisdom of this group ..... and it is metal related.

There seem to be a couple of theories regarding lubrication of a
motorcycle chain, in this case, a dirt bike. My concern with a "well
oiled" chain is that the dirt and grit sticks to the oil and acts as
grinding paste. A dry chain doesn't seem like a good idea either.
Any advice appreciated.

FWIW, it's my son's bike (250 4-Stroke) and
is used for trail riding, not competition. He wants to get the maximum
life out of the chain & sprockets.
Thanks.

When my son was wearing out chains, I had a piece of heavy clear rigid
tube about 3 ft long, I glued a piece of something on the bottom and
smoothed the top of the tube so another plate would fit good, screwed
a 1/4" flare fitting into it & filled the tube with the heaviest gear
oil I could find.--drop in the chain, with a stiff wire attached that
reaches nearly to top. (for ease of removal.).
Thoroughly clean chain before dunking in tube..
Apply vacuum pump (borrowed from from friendly auto A.C. mechanic, or
refrigeration serviceman.)
when bubbles quit coming out of chain, remove vacuum, allow atmosphere
to push oil INTO chain bearings ,leave in oil 5-10 minutes,remove, ,
drip dry, & wipe dry. Jerry