Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

wrote in message
oups.com...
My current challenge is that the majority of cuts I take are not
entirely smoothe, but feel threaded. I believe that this is due to the
carbide cutting tools that I'm now using, and I also believe the
solution might be to grind a few HSS cutting tools with rounded ends.

Sounds like your tools are ground to a sharp point. That's alright for
(some)shouldering, but not very good for smooth surfacing cuts.

Radius the points a little, and make your last cut fine enough to barely
pull swarf.

Your longitudinal feed might be too fast for the radius that is on the
tools, too. For a smooth cut, the actual "cuts" of the tool point must
overlap about 30% or more.

LLoyd