Steve Manes

On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 05:47:08 GMT, wrote:
My question is, even if we do aclimitise the wood, it's still gonna
shirnk in the winter and expand in the summer. As long as the
humidity level is within a reasonable range, what difference is it
gonna make?

Your observation is correct. The reason is because you want the
finish floor and the subfloor you're fastening it to to have roughly
the same moisture content so they'll expand/shrink together. The
expansion/contraction may be tiny... less than 1/4" over a large
room... but it's powerful enough to loosen nails and split the
tongues.

That's also why the finish floor should be acclimatized in the same
room, or at least the same level of the house, where it will be laid.

Steve Manes
Brooklyn, NY
http://www.magpie.com/house/bbs