Robert Allison

Susan (CobbersMom) wrote:

"Robert Allison" wrote in message

Generally speaking, once a house is sold, it is "grandfathered". The city
cannot come a tell you that something needs to be torn down, unless it is
a danger to you or the public.

Generally speaking, that's BS. Grandfathering means something that was once
permitted but is no longer allowed may continue at it's same use. Maybe it
applies to your locality but certainly not the entire country. Where I work
(in zoning) it doesn't matter who owns the property. However the town(s) by
state statute have a two year statute of limitation. The county has a 10
year statute of limitation. Just a couple months ago we came across a
violation from three years ago. I didn't touch it but the county made the
NEW OWNERS correct it.

Yes, like I said, authorities often try to enforce something
that they don't have the authority to do. Most people just
lay down for it, because "you can't fight city hall". Zoning
is totally different from code enforcement. You will never be
able to get a store in a residentially zoned area
grandfathered. You can OTOH have a lot of code violations
that can be kept.

If I had not resisted, I would have been forced to change
several things over the past 35 years that were grandfathered.
However, I resisted and have yet to lose a fight. But then,
this is what I do for a living, and I know what I am talking
about.

If there is an imminent danger to the public, the OP will not
win, but if there isn't, I'll bet he will.

ONE thing that you said is true, each jurisdiction is
different. My experience only applies to the central TX area,
as I have not had to deal with this outside of Austin and the
surrounding 100 mile radius or so.

As for the OP, it helps to deal with the official politely and rationally.
If there's ways around things, they are more likely to help out. As others
said, call the realtor or an attorney for advice. Realtors in my area are
always checking to see if additions or what not were built with permits
because it has to be stated on the offer that all construction was
permitted.

Absolutely. Always be polite. Don't use words like BS and
such. I already suggested a lawyer for a possible letter to
the authority in question. Usually that is all it takes.

There might be some type of special exception that could be applied for.
Who knows, find out how long it's been there, maybe it's past your
locality/states statute of limitation.
Sue

--
Robert Allison