RMUH

aeneas1 wrote:
rather than run two new lines for two new pieces of equipment, i would
like to run just one line and share the new outlet given that i would
never need to use the two pieces of equipment at the same time.

one of the pieces of equipment i want to hook up is rated as 1p, 240v,
47a and came with a 6-50 plug. the other piece of equipment is rated
as 1p, 230v, 28a and came with a 6-30 plug.

my plan is to run a dedicated 50a line which would accommodate the 47a
(6-50 plug) piece of equipment. i then want to change the 28a piece of
equipment's plug from 6-30 to 6-50 so that it will also fit into the
new 6-50 outlet.

would this create a hazard and/or damage my 28a piece of equipment?

The nominal answer is no, there would be no harm, because the power
drawn is determined by the appliance, not the circuit breaker. However,
some equipment may not be adequately protected against overload or fault
if it depends on the circuit breaker for overcurrent protection. Check
whether the smaller equipment has built-in overload and overcurrent
protection.

If you want to be a bit more sophisticated, install a small sub-panel
with one circuit of each rating at the location of the equipment.

--
Tony Electric
http://dotznize.com/electric

The Reticulan Museum Of Unnatural History
http://ouchouch.com/fancy.html