Nick Hull

In article ,
G Henslee wrote:

wrote:
WE/My roomate got a notice about building without a permit. We haven't
been building anything,
So we ignored the notice. Then, BAM! We Must tear down the Carport cover
which is made
with steal beams 14ft tall and 40ft long. It came with the house when she
bought the house.
It turns out that it is no where near code and was not permitted therefore
we have to remove it..

SAY WHAT??? That's Crap. It's already there when the house was sold. If
there is a problem shouldn't
the city have dealt with that when previous owners constructed it?
Definately it should not have
been allowed to sell. The house was sold under the prentenses of being
legal.
What do we do?

Contact your realtor and perhaps attorney regarding the disclosure laws
in your state. As for the city's involvement they don't have to deal
with anything until it comes to their attention, be that by complaint or
they happen to see a violation on their own. They will only deal with
the current owner(s).

I suggest you contact the building or code enforcement dept. that sent
the notice and explain the situation to them. See what other options
they offer, such as applying for a permit, bringing the structure to
code, etc. In most cases they will work with the property owner,
however if you give them 'tude they tend to reciprocate sometimes and
can be hard to work with.

Hopefully the carport can be saved.

I had a cousin in NJ who built an external stair on his house without
the proper permit, due to some confusion. The city required him to tear
it all down and get a permit abd rebuild it. Never underestimate the
cantankerousness of a bureaucrat,

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/