John Rumm

Default Down to earth - can you identify tonight's mystery switch gear?

Christian McArdle wrote:

Make sure you replace it with a 100mA time delayed RCD. Your socket
circuits/outside electrics etc. should have additional 30mA instant acting

I could do that with RCBOs in place of the MCBs in the new consumer unit
for the relevant final rings. I chose a consumer unit that would accept
"tall" single width RCBOs in addition to the more common double width
ones - so the only downside would be the extra cost.

(There is not enough width available in the cupboard to use a split load CU)

I assume the main advantage of going for the discriminated RCD chain
like that is reducing the likelihood of nuisance trips? Compared with
the alternative (i.e. having a standard 30mA type AC RCD feeding the
whole CU), do you think the discriminated system is worth the extra expense?

types. I would definitely continue to use a separate 30mA RCD for the
workshop compared to the house electrics.

Yup was not planning on changing that (it is a far more recent addition
to the house electrics anyway and seems to be well implemented).

--
Cheers,

John.