Colin Wilson

Can anyone tell me who to contact if you wish to have the Gas Meter
RElocated together with the Electric MEter? as well as wether they can be
positioned off the boundary?

Well... as far as the electricity side goes, the industry has been forced
to split into 3 seperate components - and they can`t talk to each other
because the government say its anti-competitive...

You have:

1) the supplier (who you pay your bill to - and is *only* interested in
the meter reading)

2) the meter operator (who only fits meters, but in some cases you can
sometimes get them to fit an isolator)

3) the "network" operator, who is responsible for the cable in the
ground, up to and including the cable head (sometimes known as a cutout).
This will be the old REC* for the area in which you live.

* just to throw a spanner in the works, there are also Independant
Distribution Network Operators (IDNOs) with an "embedded" network within
the old REC area for which they retain ownership. What that means, is if
there`s a cable fault on the embedded network, the REC will politely tell
any customers who have gone off supply** to f*** off, as they`re not
allowed to work on that part of the network - you`d have to trace whoever
installed it to begin with... This scenario is still quite rare, so the
odds are this will *not* apply to you, although if it did, I guess you`d
have to approach the owner of this embedded network... :-}

** god only knows whether this would count against the RECs CML targets
(customer minutes lost) as essentially the rest of the network is on, and
its a fault on the customers' side (the IDNO) that caused you to go off
supply

In your case, you can probably go direct to (3) to arrange for a quote,
but some companies insist that the request has to come from (1).

I`m not sure what you mean about positioned off the boundary, but if you
mean in a terraced house, it isn`t always practical or possible, as under
normal circumstances (IME) you have the point of supply (the cutout) as
close to the boundary as possible. There may be regulations on this, but
they escape me at present, but probably come under the supply regulations
rather than the 16th edition (or whatever its called now) :-}