DeepDiver

"Wayne Cook" wrote in message
On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 19:48:33 GMT, "DeepDiver"
wrote:

What I was saying is that there's a lot of home shop machinists out
there with horizontal mills. They tend to be cheap so there's a fair
number that get snapped up by people with the room for them.

I forgot you were in Texas where everything is BIGGER (including your home
machine shops, I guess).

Seriously, I didn't realize that these machines were popular among home
machinists; I thought they were prohibitivly large. Everyone I know who
works in a home shop uses some form of vertical mill.

I'm not saying you can't do it either. But I think you may be in for
more grief and expense in tooling than the job is worth. That's a
pretty tough job with the right machines. There's a chance you could
do it with a mill drill but be prepared to buy a fair number of end
mills and possibly have some other trouble as well.

I realize that. I'm still not sure if it's feasible myself. I'm hoping the
job doesn't require moving the center of the holes. Simply enlarging them
was the original proposal and I'm fairly confident I can do that. If the
holes do need to be re-centered, I may just pass on the "job".

For reference I bought that same machine at my former employers
auction for $500 and then later sold it for $1000.

Sadly, the liberals and lawyers have driven most of the big manufacturing
industry out of California. So my choices are more limited.

Thanks again for your feedback!
Michael