Default HELP! Carport RV Cover Building permit Details please!! Where/How/What are the limits?

WE/My roomate got a notice about building without a permit. We haven't been building anything,
So we ignored the notice. Then, BAM! We Must tear down the Carport cover which is made
with steal beams 14ft tall and 40ft long. It came with the house when she bought the house.
It turns out that it is no where near code and was not permitted therefore we have to remove it..

SAY WHAT??? That's Crap. It's already there when the house was sold. If there is a problem shouldn't
the city have dealt with that when previous owners constructed it? Definately it should not have
been allowed to sell. The house was sold under the prentenses of being legal.
What do we do?