DeepDiver

"Wayne Cook" wrote in message
On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 14:31:28 GMT, "DeepDiver"
wrote:

Actually there's a good number of them out there. They're called
horizontal mills and this job pretty much screams for one.

I realize there are mills available better suited to this job. What I said
was that they are not commonly found in a home shop.

I've got a good bit of experience plunging end mills into a
interrupted cut in 316 SS and I must say that I have serious doubts
about a mill-drills rigidity being good enough.

I too have my concerns, which is why I posted the question. I'm not above
saying that I can't do this job (actually, a favor for a friend).

I was doing it on a huge Cincinnati #3 horizontal mill that
weighed about 8000lbs and I was wishing for more rigidity.

I'm fairly certain there's not a single machine of that caliber anywhere
within 30 miles radius of me. How far beyond, I don't know.

Thanks.