jim rozen

In article , Gunner says...

Whats the up and down sides of sticking in a pointless G ignition?

First off you don't get them for free, I think a dyna 3 is a few
hundred dollars.

I have a points ignition in my R75, and the new bike had that
same setup but was retrofitted by the previous owner with the
dyna 3.

When he did it, he hooked the electronics box up wrong to the
coils, but it did still run fine.

Comparison shows that both points and the electronic ignition
do indeed provide satisfactory spark to run the bike. Granted
I've removed the stock BMW wires and resistor plug caps on them,
and replaced with straight copper 8mm silicone rubber wires
from Taylor Vertex. So the resistor issue is moot.

The think I like about the points is they seem to not require
adjustment on that bike hardly at all. I haven't had the
front cover off the R75 in about two years, so there's not
a lot of tinkering required.

The Dnya 3 uses the stock mechanical ignition advance unit,
so whatever unreliability is inherent in that, is still present.
And the dnya trigger unit that attaches to the cam seems a bit
fidgity, though I've had no troubles with it. Likewise the
circuit boards that hold the pickups seem kinda fragile.

The one upside with the Dyna is, I think you can individually
move the pickups to get the spark spot on on both jugs. But then,
my R75 never had the 'split timing marks' problem.

I think for me the biggest worry is that if something goes wrong
inside the potted electronics unit, it's a drop-dead, walk home
failure. With points, you can always manage to get 'em working
somehow. Of course I carry spare points and condenser in the older
bike's toolkit. I know that folks say that electronic parts
are so much more reliable than mechanical ones - but this is
a vehicle, and the parts are a) built to a price, using b) consumer
grade parts, and d) subjected to extremes of temperature and
vibration.

I'm either going to start carrying an entire spare dyna unit, or
swap back to points on the newer bike.

Jim

please reply to: