Dave Hinz

On 13 Apr 2005 08:31:26 -0700, jim rozen wrote:
In article , Dave Hinz says...

Ask specifically about carb synchronization if this is the 1000cc
boxer engine with bing carbs that I'm thinking. If the owner gives
you a vacant stare, then be aware that it's probably not performing
up to potential. Unless it changed dramatically between '77 and '82
(I have no idea, sorry),

Not really. The bing cv's are actually pretty easy to synch,
and they hold their settings for a long time.

Well, that's what I'm saying. If they haven't done it, then there
is a huge potential for vast improvements in performance by doing
it. If they answer "Yeah, it's a snap, buy a polysynch if you
don't have one", then that tells you more about the seller and how
they may have kept the bike up.

Maybe the one I bought was more fscked up than normal, but they were
_way_ out of tune with each other when I got it. Then again, the clutch
was out of adjustment (no free play - 30 second fix), the oil was
chunky, the voltage regulator was shot, and one fork was nearly dry.
Guy figured the bike was ready to part out, when it just needed about
an hour of attention (and a voltage regulator from one of my parts Saabs).

Dave Hinz