Larry Jaques

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 21:25:05 -0400, the inscrutable "Mark Cooper"
spake:

I just purchased my first table saw, a Grizzly G1023SL (220v 1-phase 3HP).

Like most Grizzly owners it seems, mine arrived in a box that looked like it
had been run over by a dump truck. In reality, the guy who delivered it had
an otherwise empty truck, and put the saw in the middle of the damn thing
with NO OTHER SUPPORT!! Bottom line, just a mile from my house he had to
lock up the brakes, and the saw fell over on its side. I believe it hit on
the side with the tilt handwheel, so I THINK the motor didn't absorb the
blow. Aside from this, however, the box had obviously taken numerous other
blows, because it was just about shredded, as was the box the fence was in.

I've got the top off the saw as we speak, and there does not appear to be
any damage to the saw whatsoever...not even a scratch. However, it has an
absolutely TERRIBLE vibration. I put a blade on it and it whistled like a
freight train. I put a Starrett straightedge against the motor pulleys, and
found that the arbor pulleys are about a full quarter inch offset. When I
rotate the arbor, as the belts rotate around the pulleys, it isn't smooth at
ALL. I can feel a continual hesitation, then release, then hesitation, then

That sounds like the belt is trying to jump the groove.

release... In addition, the motor comes to a stop almost immediately after
being switched off. Most other saws I've seen rotate for quite some time
before coming to a stop.

So are the pulleys out of alignment on the same plane (easily
corrected) or are they tracking in two different planes?

---------- __________ easy fix: realign pulleys.

---------- \ not so easy fix. g Motor bracket bent?
\ (OK, so it's a slight exaggeration.)
\
\
\
\
So bottom line, what should I do? The obvious thing to do would be to move
the pulleys back into alignment, but I would have to move the arbor the
wrong way, and it looks like the blade would hit the saw. Am I right about
this? Do the two sets of pulleys have to be directly over each other to
quell the vibration?

I had a vibration developing in my Griz bandsaur. I hadn't gone back
to retighten the bolts after a few hours of use and the motor pulley
had come loose. Tightening the motor pulley set screw took the vibes
away, the easy fix. I also installed a link belt on it and it smoothed
right out.

If moving the arbor causes an interference fit with the blade, _don't_
do it. Instead, I would see about adjusting the motor brackets and/or
motor pulley to line it up. Try that first. Unless the pulleys are
absolutely identical, you'll probably need to align them with the
straight edge against the side of a groove. That's where it counts.

Any other suggestions would be helpful...I'm not a machinist!!

What has the Grizzly technical support guy said?

VIRTUE...is its own punishment
http://www.diversify.com Website Applications