wmbjk

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 10:57:33 +0930, wrote:

G'day,
I'll be looking at a BMW RS100 this pm, possibly buy.
Has 94000ks (about 56500 miles). 1982. Some wear in final drive,
'clunk' when taking off from standstilll. Fairly common I think?

Anybody had/own one of these? Anything I should look for in
particular? Any traps? Have had bikes before but this will be the
first BMW. Has Brembo brakes and ss exhaust. Tia for any comments.

Regards, Mac

It's been a while, so I can't picture that model. I remember R100S
(small fairing), and the R100RS (larger fairing with lowers). I had
the latter, it was either the first or second year of production. Only
major problems I remember were warped front brake rotors (they were
pretty thin), and broken gear dogs (third perhaps). Both should have
been well cured by '82. I also remember lots of fork stiction, which
the factory said could be alleviated somewhat by removing one of the
two seals in each leg sigh, which pretty well finished off my
impression of the "finely engineered" thing. I did like the light
weight and big fuel tank. I took it on a 5000 mile trip once without
problems, and I'll give the seat nine stars.... out of a hundred. ;-)

Wayne