jim rozen

In article ,
says...

Thanks Gunner and Vaughan, (only replies I've seen so far) Gunner,
those sites were exactly the sort of thing I need. Had heaps of bikes
but know bugger all about BMs. I bought the bike. Rear disk. Bit
rough appearance wise but seems mechanically sound. The mechanic that
put me on to it knew the bike and told me it was good. The ex-owner
seemed like a straight shooter. Has the two panniers and top box.
Stainless exhaust. Always wanted a BMW. Paid $Aus4000, which seemed
quite reasonable after checking mags etc. I like it! All in all, a
good day. Thanks again. Some blokes, when having a mid life crisis
get the blonde and Porsche, me, I get the bike and me knee fixed! :-)

Very fair price. The rear disk is fair. The front duals are
pretty good. As suggested, do the increase in fork oil viscosity
and progressive springs if this has not already been done. The
fork brace's existence implies it has, however.

If this bike has the front master cylinder under the tank, it will
be weepy because of the rough casting, and should be sleeved with
brass at some point. If the m/c is on the bars, then that's good.

The charging systems are good but not very good. 280 watts is the
limit. Get a good manual for maintenence. The stainless headers
and mufflers are a nice touch. Those are worth over 500 by themselves.

Keep oil in it, keep some valve clearance in the valves. Put some
inline filters in the fuel lines to keep away that 'wet shoe'
feeling.

Things that go wrong:

Rear main seal can get weepy
Driveshaft boot can get weepy
Instrument cluster lights are troublesome, so's the housing

You're good to ride for over 100K miles.

Jim

please reply to: