jim rozen

In article , Gunner says...

Put it up on the centerstand, pull the rear wheel and check the final
drive "lovejoy" couplers. The gizmo that connects the rear wheel and
the final drive. They are replaceable, but spendy if they are badly
worn, which they shouldnt be at that mileage. YMMV

Agreed - about the idea they're probably not badly worn at 50-something.

But harder to replace than you think, it means a new spline
coupling on the wheel, *and* either a new ring gear (the male
spline on that is integral) or a re-work of the existing worn
spline. Some folks glop braze on the worn spline, and then
remachine the splines. THis supposedly gives 75% wear life
from that point on, compared with the original. I'm not
sure I believe that.

My R75/6 is high miles and has a fairly worn rear drive coupling.
When it gets critical I plan on begging the wire EDM guy here
at work to make me a new male spline out of steel, and then
machining the old one off, and silver-soldering the replacement
on.

Also, check the 'gaiters" on the front forks. If they are cracked or
broken, they WILL need to be replaced. (gaiters are the accordian
rubber tubing covering the front fork sliding sections.

A bike of this vintage probably has no gaiters. If he buys it I
would suggest he fit them.
Oh..the boxers of that vintage have a surprising amount of kneel..when

you cram on the front brakes, they tend to lean far forwards..makes
you feel like you are about to do a summersault. But if the previous
owner put Bembo brakes on it, he may have modified the suspension.

This is the 'gummikahw' effect. g Fitting slightly heavier (7wt)
fork oil, and a set of progressive springs, will help on this one.
The real trick is a fork brace, this makes an amazing improvement.

Good bikes.
Ive not had mine on the road since 98. No time, no money. But I fire
it up every 6 months and run it till it warms up, and change the oil
once a year. Someday when Im rich and famous, Ill change out the
point style ignition and put in an electronic one. Shrug

You can put a Dyna III in there, but if you want my personal advice - leave
the points.

Jim

'59 R50 (ready for powder coating)
'60 R60US
'75 R75/6
'78 R100RS -recent addition, has 'S' fairing newly fitted

please reply to: