Gita

Colbyt wrote:

"Gita" wrote in message
I live in a condo (spackle-covered concrete ceiling) and want to install
a ceiling hook to use to swag a pendant light to centre it over my
dining table.

You did not specify the weight of the fixture. Most will be under 15 pounds.

I'd guess that the fixture is at most 7 lbs.

A tapcon screw sunk 1" into the concrete and securely tightened (I say
securely because sometime they strip out) will support 15 pounds with no
problems. The problem is finding a hook that can be attached using a tapcon.

All the ceiling hooks that look good that I have seen are the ones sold with
a toggle or machine thread/lag screw combo.The toggle won't work in
concrete. You will have to use the combo screw.

That's what I bought. The previous condo owner had also swagged her light
(but was not kind enough to leave the hook!)...I'm not sure what she used,
but it left a huge hole (much larger than the combo screw and the space I'd
imagine the anchor would occupy). I plan to drill a new hole and spackle
over the old one anyway...probably the safer than recycling the hole, right?

My pesonal experinces have been that the non-conical, fluted plastic
concrete anchors have the same or more holding power than a lead anchor. A
picture link for illusration puposes only:

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/pro...source=froogle

Ah, NON-CONICAL. I hadn't seen one of those before. Perhaps that's what
RBM was referring to in their reply.

Ron Tock's reply and the pictures from the Chase-Pitkin website made me
realize I was thinking of a molly bolt and not a lead anchor...

Thanks - I will try some of the suggestions and see what happens!