Dave Anderson

Learn a lesson from this and NEVER accecpt freight damaged shipments!
"Mark Cooper" wrote in message
news:1113355444.e81a10c36261fc05e31f5e61fff8c263@t eranews...
I just purchased my first table saw, a Grizzly G1023SL (220v 1-phase 3HP).

Like most Grizzly owners it seems, mine arrived in a box that looked like
it had been run over by a dump truck. In reality, the guy who delivered
it had an otherwise empty truck, and put the saw in the middle of the damn
thing with NO OTHER SUPPORT!! Bottom line, just a mile from my house he
had to lock up the brakes, and the saw fell over on its side. I believe
it hit on the side with the tilt handwheel, so I THINK the motor didn't
absorb the blow. Aside from this, however, the box had obviously taken
numerous other blows, because it was just about shredded, as was the box
the fence was in.

I've got the top off the saw as we speak, and there does not appear to be
any damage to the saw whatsoever...not even a scratch. However, it has an
absolutely TERRIBLE vibration. I put a blade on it and it whistled like a
freight train. I put a Starrett straightedge against the motor pulleys,
and found that the arbor pulleys are about a full quarter inch offset.
When I rotate the arbor, as the belts rotate around the pulleys, it isn't
smooth at ALL. I can feel a continual hesitation, then release, then
hesitation, then release... In addition, the motor comes to a stop almost
immediately after being switched off. Most other saws I've seen rotate
for quite some time before coming to a stop.

So bottom line, what should I do? The obvious thing to do would be to
move the pulleys back into alignment, but I would have to move the arbor
the wrong way, and it looks like the blade would hit the saw. Am I right
about this? Do the two sets of pulleys have to be directly over each
other to quell the vibration?

Any other suggestions would be helpful...I'm not a machinist!!