Scott McDaniel

Agree with Steve - don't use an electrostatic or one of the 3M filters
unless you've had the system checked by a competent tech (and those can be
hard to find!) to ensure it can handle the decrease in airflow.

I can't tell you how many calls we get at this time of year where the
homeowner has purchased one of the 3M filters ... return isn't quite large
enough and those filters can be extremely restrictive, therefore not enough
air moving across the evap coil and you get a freezeup. Had one yesterday -
3.5 ton packaged heat pump system with a 10 x 20 (yes, 10 x 20) return and a
3M white pleated filter. This system is about 5 years old and has already
had 1 heat exchanger and 2 compressors installed ... go figure.

"anita" wrote in message
I am in the process of learning about fibreglass lined metal ducts, and its
an old house (early 80s).

So till I figure out what needs to be done and if we can afford it, is
there some kind of air filter we can use with our heating system (not the
portable room filter kind) to get rid of fibreglass particles if any.

I was looking at electrostatic filters, does this do the job ? Is there
any
specific kind/brand one would recommend ?

Thanks
anita