The Natural Philosopher

Andy Dingley wrote:

On 12 Apr 2005 08:15:48 GMT, wrote:

Thus all we needed to
do was rope the trees to ensire they fell the way we wanted

This is very difficult to do. There's a significant risk of them
"kicking". Instead of your rope pulling them to the left, the base
goes out to the right instead. This is especially the case for skinny
trees like Leylandii being cut halfway up.

IU wasn;t thgiunking about cutting them half way up.

Using a chainsaw while half way up a tree is a *very* skilled/dangerous
occupation

It's just not possible for mere mortals. Doing it safely needs a
top-handle saw, and you're not even allowed to buy / hire a top-handle
unless you have a current ticket.

Well it doesn't REQUIRE one. But I agree, taking a chainsaw up high
without safety gear is not something anyomne should undertake lightly.

Like driving 2 cars length behind someone on the M25 at 85mph, in
pouring rain, its bound to end in tears one day.