Techforce

It sure is possible, and is known as 'low gain' or 'low beta'. Diode check
wont tell you a transistors gain. You need to put it on a curve tracer and
compare the curves for a range of given base current to a known good NEW
identical transistor to see the difference.

If I were you I would not use the NTE , and get the original number
transistor that was in there. The NTE replacements dont always match the
characteristics of the original 100% in detail, and certain differences can
cause it to run hotter than normal, and in the long run, reduce its gain.
Its also possible not enough heat sink compound was used, and other
possibilities too.

news:1113324846.cd06bd2ce55defd30b441770978debec@t eranews...