Electric Stu

Thanks for the input, Edwin.

A minor mar or cosmestic defect I could live with (and have on various
previous purchases). I totally agree that trying to attain perfection
is a waste of time, is futile, and creates unwanted stress, IMHO.

However, I believe that the location and depth of this dent might be
significant enough to create a potentially inaccurate cut. The dent is
about 1/32" deep (lower than the surrounding table and has dimensions
in the X and Y planes (i.e., parallel to the surface of the table) of
about 3/4" x 3/4". Plus, it's about an inch from the front of the
table. If I'm edge jointing in this area (and I like to move the fence
from time to time to distribute wear, so I'm likely to encounter this
area occassionally), the outfed lumber will not reference the outfeed
table properly in this area until it reaches the level table beyond it.

I suppose that this dent won't be much of an issue, but since Delta is
sending me a replacement lip, I guess it can't hurt to try it (I hope).
I haven't actually hoisted the head onto the base yet, since it will
make it more difficult to do the swap-out. If the job looks too
involved, perhaps I'll just overlook it.

In that case, I wonder if this obvious defect will be enough to detract
from potential resale if I ever decide to sell it in the future.

Thanks,
Stu

In article , Edwin
Pawlowski wrote:

"Electric Stu" wrote in message

(7) After cleaning off the tables, I noticed two dents in the outfeed
table, much to my disappointment. The dents were not in the cast iron
part of the table, though. Rather, they were in the so-called table lip
of the outfeed table, which is a separate piece which looks like cast
aluminum, rather than iron. One dent was right on the edge of this lip
towards the front of the unit, depressed about 1/32 of an inch, as if
someone dropped something on it or struck it with something. The other
was more like a small surface irregularity about 1/64" deep.

Do these affect the function?

While everyone wants a perfect machine, the cure may be worse than the
original problem. If it was just an appearance issue, I'd learn to live
with it.

If it was a local dealer, you could try to swap something or take a discount
to keep it.