David

Oak shouldn't need pre-stain conditioner.

WillR wrote:

Philski wrote:

WillR wrote:

Philski wrote:

All,
I am looking for advice on the best way to stain a large surface. I
have a fairly large table top to stain. I want to avoid
splotches/uneven appearance. I am leaning toward spraying the stain
vs. using a brush, roller or rag. The stain I will be using is
necessarily water-based. (The final finish is a water-based
poly....) Do I just do it in manageable sections or flood the entire
surface and wipe up with rags quickly?

I have succesfully stained smaller project but a table top is going
to offer a totally new experience for me.

Thanks, as always, in advance....

Philski

Depends on the type of wood. What is it?

Just better not be Cherry or the "Stain Police" will run you in.

If it is Maple everyone will suggest aniline dye -- see Lee Valley or
others. I have a collection here I use for unusual effects in carved
scroll work etc.

I have used Minwax pre-stain conditioner if I think that a finish
will "splotch" due to color additives. It works for me.

I have done large surfaces with the Danish oil/Tung Oil type
finishes. No problems with color etc.

As far as water based goes.... I find that they are a PITA - I would
rather use oil/solvent based wipe on poly. Had great luck with that.

Did a desk suite with water based -- won't do it again. Too many
bubbles - too much care required. I would rather put on my nice
organic vapor mask and use wipe on poly or an oil based finish.

$.02 please -- I need the cash :-)

The wood is white oak. Veneered in with 1/8" strips of Wenge. It
actually a desk top. But as big as a table top. A little more
background - I have been trying to keep my postings to a smaller size
as I am at work (and on a 50K dial-up vs home on broadband ). I
have already stained all the drawer fronts, the pedestals and center
drawer supports. The smaller items are easy to stain and all look
great. Then I stained the desktop only to find that it was badly
streaked and splotchy. I sanded the top back down to bare wood. I have
intentionally filled the pores using a Behlen grain filler too. The
top is baby-butt smooth - sanded to a 320 grit finish. I have never
sprayed a stain to date and I am using ProCoat waterbased
semi-transparent stain. Anywhere I overlap brush stroke leaves a
markedly darker streak when I wipe the stain off the surface to allow
the grain to show through. I can wipe it on with rags I guess but I
have to adhere to following the grain closely or it looks like hell.
So.....spray? I do have an expensive gun (I used to paint cars) in my
tool crib. I was looking for advice on avoiding the crappy look I so
far have been getting.

TIA!

Philski

Try the Minwax pre stain conditioner on a small sample piece. I suspect
it will help.

Even Pine stains ok after a coat of that stuff. Just follow the
directions on the can. -- about $12 CDN even.

Beyond that -- there are people more expert than I on spraying...

I have some (quarter sawn) white oak here for a project -- think I will
stick to a wipe on oil now. :-)