WillR

Philski wrote:
All,
I am looking for advice on the best way to stain a large surface. I have
a fairly large table top to stain. I want to avoid splotches/uneven
appearance. I am leaning toward spraying the stain vs. using a brush,
roller or rag. The stain I will be using is necessarily water-based.
(The final finish is a water-based poly....) Do I just do it in
manageable sections or flood the entire surface and wipe up with rags
quickly?

I have succesfully stained smaller project but a table top is going to
offer a totally new experience for me.

Thanks, as always, in advance....

Philski

Depends on the type of wood. What is it?

Just better not be Cherry or the "Stain Police" will run you in.

If it is Maple everyone will suggest aniline dye -- see Lee Valley or
others. I have a collection here I use for unusual effects in carved
scroll work etc.

I have used Minwax pre-stain conditioner if I think that a finish will
"splotch" due to color additives. It works for me.

I have done large surfaces with the Danish oil/Tung Oil type finishes.
No problems with color etc.

As far as water based goes.... I find that they are a PITA - I would
rather use oil/solvent based wipe on poly. Had great luck with that.

Did a desk suite with water based -- won't do it again. Too many bubbles
- too much care required. I would rather put on my nice organic vapor
mask and use wipe on poly or an oil based finish.

$.02 please -- I need the cash :-)

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek