WillR

Stan wrote:
Help! I've been building a dining room table that is 5ft square made of
hard maple. I've followed the directions in my FWW mags and books to
the letter. I've alternated the grain but with the climate change, my
table top has curled up ALOT. Now there are 4 separate areas where the
6inch wide boards, which were biscuited, glued, and clamped, have
become separated at the ends, perhaps 1 to 4 inches into the table from
the edge. A gap exists between 1/16 and 1/8". Now what? The only
thing I can think of is to somehow get glue back in this tiny crack and
then re-clamp. Please offer me your good suggestions. Thanks,
-Clueless

Stan:

People would need a lot more information to help.

How thick is the wood?
What type of glue?
How much climate change? What was the humidity change -- best guess...
Kiln dried wood? Air dried? (And if so how long (i year per inch?)...)
Did you let the wood sit in your workshop before you cut and glued? How
long if so?
How long did it take to come apart? Immediately, a week?
Is it (was it) installed in the frame of the table or just sitting out
somewhere...

It does sound like a moisture/humidity issue -- not that I have ever
made this kind of mistake -- just heard about it. :-))

I think my maple table is narrower boards.

You'll get lots of opinions...

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek