Vaughn Simon

wrote in message
ups.com...
Question
If acetylene was leaking into the room would you not smell it and be
warned? Would it stay at floor level and not be detected?

I don't know about acetylene, but sometimes we miss smells when they
come on gradually. Once, many years ago, my friend and his wife came to
spend a few days in my home. At one point, I left them to go do some food
shopping. When I returned, I was horrified to find the house smelling
strongly of gas, with them sitting calmly in my living room. (they were
both smokers, but thankfully, had not chosen that moment to light up) When
we sorted things out, I discovered that they had decided to pop our supper
into the oven. They were not familar with old gas ovens and had no idea
what that pack of kitchen matches was for. I was very lucky to find my
friends still there and my house still intact!

Vaughn