On 11 Apr 2005 03:02:01 -0700, someone wrote:

Sounds like an ad for a realtor. IMO, the main advantage a realtor has
is the MLS.

I'm not a realtor.

The MLS is certainly an advantage.

I have sold many properties, sometimes with a broker, other times not.

The first thing most buyers want from a FSBO is for the Seller to take
6% less because they don't have to pay a broker. Thus the 'savings'
from no broker would go to the Buyer, and the Seller does all the
work. Or they will come in with an offer - by THEIR broker, and
expect you to pay the commission.

Selling FSBO is not always all that great an advantage. Often people
do it because they "have to" - owe so much they can't afford the
commission. Also, not every Seller is a good negotiator; there can be
awkward moments in which it is helpful to have a broker speaking for
you. How much is this worth? Ahh, that's the Q.

Maybe now that prices have gone thru the roof in many areas, the rate
needs to be attacked for a sliding rate paying less of a percentage on
higher valued properties.

I use a broker when I want more exposure and don't have the time to
deal with the idiots. I go FSBO when I have the time and the market
is active enough to allow less exposed properties to get sold. The
broker is a sales person and I regard them as such and pay the fee for
that service.