JimL

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 17:05:45 -0400, "RBM" rbm2(remove
wrote:

If you buy a fixture swag kit, you will get hooks and studs with toggle
wings and things called gimlets, which is a screw that is half machine screw
and half wood screw. If you have a drill, you can buy a 3/16 inch carbide
masonry bit to drill the concrete, then use a 3/16 plastic anchor, which
goes in the hole, then you screw the gimlet to the hook and screw the
assembly into the plastic anchor in the ceiling and you're done
"Gita" wrote in message
I live in a condo (spackle-covered concrete ceiling) and want to install
a ceiling hook to use to swag a pendant light to centre it over my
dining table.

What's the best way to go about installing the hook so
that it stays securely in the ceiling (the last thing I want is for it
and/or the light to come crashing down on my glass dining table)?

Someone suggested a concrete anchor (the sleeve type that expands when
you insert the screw...is it called a lead anchor?), but I wasn't sure
how well that would work in a ceiling (as opposed to a wall). Another
option I thought of is to use one of those special concrete screws,
though I'm not sure what type of hook I could use in conjunction with
one of those...

Any suggestions for a secure installation would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I would avoid the plastic anchors for this job. Maybe in the wall,
but not in the ceiling to hang a lamp over an expensive glass table.