The stump end often flips backwards if youre pulling it over with a
rope. Even the thinner branches can cause serious injury, stay out

the
way.

Surely if cut properly with a notch on the falling side about 1/3 of
the way through and then a cut on the other side about 2" above the
notch this should form a hinge as the tree falls.

yes, it does if you dont pull it over. If you pull it, it works
differently, and the trunk can flip back a fair way, and with huge
force. Pulling them down is good for situations when you cant get
quickly away from the cut: with cut and fall you've got to get away at
speed. I used the rope trick for trees growing out of the top of a
structure, so I couldnt get out the way easily.

All the one's we have felled I've done this way and mostly the rope
was just a bit of insurance to be sure the tree didn't go the wrong
way, it wasn't used to actually pull the tree over.

When sawing the cut on the other side above the notch it's very
obvious when the tree is about to fall and you have ample time to get
out of the way. This is the way it's described in all the

information
I've read about it. The one big thing they all emphasise is that you
*must* make sure you can move quickly away from the tree once it
starts falling.

yes, works fine if youre able to get out quick.

Relying on pulling the tree over after you've moved away from it is
risky as it *might* decide to fall while you're cutting

thats not hard to avoid.

and, if you
haven't a well planned and easy escape route, you're in trouble.

if you dont stop cutting to test its remaining strength occasionally,
I agree!

NT